The IB Learner Profile
“The aim of the IB programmes is to develop internationally-minded people who, recognizing their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet, help to create a better and more peaceful world.” (From Principles into Practice, 2014).
The IB learner profile is the International Baccalaureate (IB) mission statement translated into a set of learning outcomes for the 21st century.
At King Abdulaziz School, the learner profile promotes attitudes and characteristics in students that develop international-mindedness. Students are encouraged to recognize their common humanity and shared guardianship and to help create a better and more peaceful world.
The learner profile provides long-term vision for education and is a set of ideals that can inspire, motivate and focus the work of the entire school community- students, teachers, administrators and parents, uniting them in a common purpose.
As IB learners we strive to be:
- Inquirers– We nurture our curiosity, developing skills for inquiry and research. We know how to learn independently and with others. We learn with enthusiasm and sustain our love of learning throughout life.
- Knowledgeable-We develop and use conceptual understanding, exploring knowledge across a range of disciplines. We engage with issues and ideas that have local and global significance.
- Thinkers– We use critical and creative thinking skills to analyse and take responsible action on complex problems. We exercise initiative in making reasoned, ethical decisions.
- Communicators– We express ourselves confidently and creatively in more than one language and in many ways. We collaborate effectively, listening carefully to the perspectives of other individuals and groups.
- Principled– We act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness and justice, and with respect for the dignity and rights of people everywhere. We take responsibility for our actions and their consequences.
- Open-minded– We critically appreciate our own cultures and personal histories, as well as the values and traditions of others. We seek and evaluate a range of points of view, and we are willing to grow from the experience.
- Caring– We show empathy, compassion and respect. We have a commitment to service, and we act to make a positive difference in the lives of others and in the world around us.
- Risk-takers– We understand the importance of balancing different aspects of our lives—intellectual, physical, and emotional—to achieve well-being for ourselves and others. We recognize our interdependence with other people and with the world in which we live.
- Balanced– We understand the importance of balancing different aspects of our lives—intellectual, physical, and emotional—to achieve well-being for ourselves and others. We recognize our interdependence with other people and with the world in which we live.
- Reflective– We thoughtfully consider the world and our own ideas and experience. We work to understand our strengths and weaknesses in order to support our learning and personal development.
The IB learner profile represents 10 attributes valued by IB Schools. We believe these attributes, and others like them, can help individuals and groups to become responsible members of local, national and global communities.